It's a long weekend here in Queensland and how about putting that extra day to good use with a Living Room re-style?
Here are our top tips to creating a functional and stylish Living Room space with our Top Freshen Up Tips.
Project by Charcoal Interiors
1. Furniture placement is key! Too much furniture can also make the space appear cluttered and messy. Create symmetry and harmony with correct furniture placement. Finding it hard to throw out or donate those knick knacks? Pop them in a box and if you haven't unpacked them within 6 months it's time to donate to a worthy cause. If you have an unusually shaped room and are at wits end then give our design team a call, they can arrange an in-house appointment.
2. Learn the art of layering. Ever walked into a room and you're not quite sure exactly what it is, but the room just 'feels' amazing? The trick is layering with textures and accessories, drapes, rugs, soft furnishings etc... Look to our website for inspiration, and we highly recommend Pinterest as a source of inspiring ideas.
Project by Charcoal Interiors
3. Add some artwork. Art is in the eye of the beholder so there are no hard and fast rules here. If you are unsure of what kind of art you like just start googling art in the colours and styles that you have admired in the past. Before you know it, you will be leaning towards a contemporary, art deco, abstract or impressionist style. Keep it simple by starting with a striking black and white print if you are really unsure, but the key is to choose something that you really connect with. That's the magic of art...it's personal and connects you with your emotions and feelings.
4. Balance your television size to the space. Televisions are a part of every day life so we are not saying to get rid of it, but if the space is small choose a television size to suit.
5. Lighting. Create a soothing, ambient mood with a floor lighting. A space that is too brightly lit can detract from relaxation. Ideally floor lamps should be placed either next to, behind or between sofas.
6. Start small. If you feel overwhelmed and confused with where to start, then just begin with a few small changes. Take a step back, live in the space for a week or two and then progress further. Great interiors are not created in a day with a quick fix. We believe in sourcing unique collectables, fabrics and eclectic pieces to really bring your personality into the space. Contact our design team today for more information on our Interior Design service.
MOTHERS DAY GIVEAWAY
We value your opinion and have found a fabulous way to collect your suggestions and thoughts on our business....what you like, what you don't like and what you think we should do more of and make Charcoal Interiors an even better shopping and design experience!
Just click on our survey link below and answer a few quick questions about what you would like to see in our showroom. It might be more art, books, ceramics, collectables or perhaps something else that we haven't thought of?
Enter to win a selection of the Witches Chase scented soy candles instore.
Winners will be drawn 3rd May 2016 just in time for Mother's Day.
All survey participants will remain anonymous so just email us with your name and details so we can put you in the draw.